It can be truly stated that ScribeVision
was officially born in the first few days of SFOR 7's MRE (Mission
Readiness Exercise) in November of 1999.
The MRE was held at Fort Polk, Lousiana,
and was the culmination of more than a year of preparation by soldiers
deploying to Bosnia.
In the months leading up to the MRE, I
had developed and fine tuned a tactical web web simply called SFOR7
Web. The web was a lean application designed to provide quick
access to critical mission information such as phone listings, SITREPS
(Situation Reports), Fragos, IMPINs and G3 Ops log files.
As an added twist, all of the laptops
used in training simulations had been configured with the tactical web
page installed as an "Active Desktop" component. (See
ScribeVision There Was Active Desktop").
I arrived at Fort Polk a few days before
the official start of the MRE with plans to support the same web
site. Upon my arrival, however, a new wrinkle was added.
G3 Operations requested some way to
display some of their operational data on a large projection display
system installed in the corner of the BUB training area.
The data consisted of reports called
"Event Logs" and "Status Logs" and other operational
information. Most of the information was created in the form of
Going to work, the basic design of
ScribeVision was completed in less than a day. I created a framed
web page that was hard coded to fill the 800 by 600 pixel resolution of
the large screen in the BUB.
The web page consisted of two small
frames on the right side of the screen that utilized the same scrolling
text java applets I had used on the 49th Armored Division web site and
the SFOR 7 Web.
On the left side was a large frame that
simply linked to a PowerPoint slide show to loop through a series of G3
slides. At the top left of the screen was a frame containing java
clocks displaying the current time at Fort Polk and Bosnia. This
frame also contained the name "SFOR 7 ScribeVision ".
I had used the term ScribeVision because
I received no guidance as to what to call the web page. The name
Over the next couple of days I continue
to tweak ScribeVision to prepare for the official start of the MRE.
I experimented with different fonts, text colors and sizes to make the
information as readable as possible on the less that optimal viewscreen.
By setting the web browser (Microsoft
Internet Explorer) to display in "full screen" mode with the
toolbars in "autohide", ScribeVision looked like something
more than a large web page.
It developed a high tech look that
attracted the attention of anyone entering the training BUB.
G3 Ops was now empowered to update
ScribeVision by simply updating and resaving their PowerPoint files and
editing the scrolling applet text files with Notepad.